Well, because I am a complete dope, I posted the wrong page this week, and I just noticed it today! What a dope I am! Anyway, here is what the page was supposed to look like (ignore the uncolored belt buckle–I colored that on the wrong page for some odd reason):
I was going to post the color version of the D and D test I was working on, but I figured that people come here to read things related to The Cause. So, today I am posting an important drawing:
Now this drawing might not look like much, or it may not seem like it is significant in any manner. But, for me, it is. What makes this drawing important is that it is my first “all digital” drawing. Specifically, I draw pretty much everything by hand on a sheet of paper (part of the reason why I am so slow). All the images that have been presented here on the site (that have been produced by me) have been completed, at least at some stage, by traditional means. But for this panel–this entire page for that matter–will be completely digital. I don’t think that I will ever go completely digital, but it is something that I would like to be able to do when or if the time comes for me to make art in a digital manner. Besides my complete aversion to completing art through solely digital means, I could not complete something like this drawing in Photoshop. I just couldn’t get a hold on the brush controls for that to happen. But Manga Studio 5 has amazing controls. The program really responds much like traditional media (as far pencil and pen go).
So maybe this digital thing isn’t so bad after all…
I wanted to share another “process” piece that I am working on (it’s one of the art tests for Wizards of the Coast). First, I have the very lose thumbnails (no matter how hard I try, I just can’t really draw in Photoshop). Now, my thumbnails are never really very complete–often they are comprised of words more so than drawing. But, when I try to take advantage of the “digital benefits” (like erasing, layers, resizing, et al), it is still a very rough process for me. I was just trying to get some ideas down (the test is really mind-boggling as it calls for constructing a warrior from a culture that has a mixture of design elements from different cultures). I moved onto the drawing stage of the project next.
The drawing is missing several details, but I am going to include those details in the next phase of the drawing (where I color the figure). The art test can be viewed here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/feature.aspx?x=dnd/feature/dndarttest.
I’ll post more when I get to the coloring stage (which will be pretty soon).
Well, I don’t think my entry for the Tank Girl Challenge over at TheArtOrder made it to the gallery on the website (which I fully expected and that is all right with me because I didn’t like what the finished product turned out to be). However, I did like the drawing I completed for the challenge:
The materials for this drawing are traditional–pencil on Bristol board–nothing fancy or sophisticated. While I didn’t like the final illustration, I did like the drawing. Then I moved onto the bane of my artistic existence…color:
For this stage of the drawing I used Photoshop to color the image (and come to think about it–the file was so corrupted that I lost parts of this drawing as well (because I actually finished coloring the bottles as well and that can’t be seen here). What makes me ambivalent about this drawing is that I feel as though I did some good things here, but I didn’t do enough good things. This is as close to the approach that I will use (for right now anyway) for my “illustration” style of making art and building an illustration portfolio. I think I am on the right path here with my technique. I just need to get better.
Recently, I decided to enter into an Art Order challenge (theartorder.com). Long story short: Mr. Jon Schindehette runs a personal blog where he discusses art and illustration. He is one the chief art directors for Wizards of the Coast/Dungeons and Dragon’s properties. His latest challenge was Tank Girl–a comic property of which I am familiar. So, I decided to enter the fray and compete within the challenge. Unfortunately, I didn’t give myself anywhere near the time I needed to complete this drawing/painting, and the file became corrupted when I took it into Painter (and then back into Photoshop), so I hate it. I spent many hours on this project, and while I know it won’t win or place, I learned a great deal about myself and the programs from which I work. I was really hoping to impress one of the most important art directors in the science fiction/fantasy illustration field, but unfortunately, that is not going to happen. I’ll have to do that with another piece .
One of the problems that I had was the immense size of the file. I work at 600dpi, and I was thinking “double-page cover spread” , so the illustration was 22″ x 17″…at 600dpi. For those people who don’t know what I am talking about: the original image is somewhere in the range of 11,000 x 13,000 pixels in size! It’s a monster to work with–especially when I added layers. Anyway, it was learning lesson…